Academic Advising

Office of the Dean of Students in the College. Every student is assigned to an academic adviser on the staff of the dean of students in the College. The professional staff offers support to students as they address the range of decisions they will make throughout the college years. Working with an adviser, each student discovers how to pursue his or her own interests in relation to the curricular requirements of the College.

The College adviser's primary responsibility is to help students plan an appropriate program of study leading to a degree in the selected area of concentration. Advisers are familiar with College academic procedures and University rules and regulations. Students with questions about the concentration programs and the various special options and degree programs described in this catalog are urged to consult their College advisers.

In addition, advisers help students learn about and select among the many educational programs and opportunities available in the University community and assist students in planning for graduate work and careers. Some advisers have special responsibility for a particular area of expertise such as study abroad, fellowships and scholarships, and careers in the health professions, law, or business. Advisers are also a good first source of help with problems, personal and otherwise, that may arise from time to time.

A complete list of the staff of the dean of students in the College is available on the following Web site: This list includes all College advisers.

The Collegiate Divisions. The master of each Collegiate Division (Biological Sciences, Humanities, Physical Sciences, Social Sciences, and the New Collegiate Division) administers curricular and faculty matters for the Division and oversees the offerings that meet the general education requirements. The senior adviser of each Collegiate Division, with the aid of appropriate faculty committees, provides direction for College advisers and students when questions arise in planning student programs, interpreting requirements, and evaluating work done elsewhere.

A complete list of the masters, their administrative assistants, and the senior advisers for each Collegiate Division is available on the following Web site:

The Concentrations. Questions specific to the areas of concentration are usually directed to the faculty counselors attached to the various programs. After students have decided on a field of concentration, they should consult the appropriate counselor as soon as possible about the completion of concentration requirements. Information on how to reach faculty counselors is available on the following Web site: www.doscoll.uchicago