Research Programs and Fellowships

College Research Opportunities Program (CROP). The CROP Directory lists faculty research projects that welcome student participation. Projects may offer credit, or salary, or a letter of reference at project completion. Opportunities are available in a wide range of departments and schools throughout the University, including the Medical Center. Some projects continue throughout the year; others are only for the summer. For more information, consult the CROP Directory (which is available only to members of the University of Chicago community) on the following Web site:

International Traveling Research Fellowship. The International Traveling Research Fellowship supports summer research outside the United States on a project leading to a B.A. thesis. Use of a language other than English, preferably one studied at the College, is a prerequisite for this award. Details are available in the Office of the College Dean, HM 241, and on the following Web site:

Margaret C. Annan Undergraduate Award in Writing. The Annan prize provides a summer stipend to support a student engaged in a writing project during the summer between the third and fourth years. Details are available in the Office of the College Dean, HM 241, and on the following Web site:

Research or Temporary Employment at Argonne National Laboratory. Research or temporary employment opportunities are available at Argonne National Laboratory (ANL), which is managed by the University of Chicago and is located twenty-five miles southwest of Chicago. Opportunities exist that span the areas of biological sciences, physical sciences, social sciences, or humanities. They include: (1) a residential Student Research Participation Program, which is available for the summer as well as the academic year; (2) the Argonne West Summer Intern Program in Idaho; and (3) research aid appointments. Undergraduate thesis research may also be carried out at ANL under the supervision of a faculty cosponsor. Summer research programs may also be available at other national laboratories. Information on these programs is available from the Director of Special Projects (702-9120); and the Director of the Division of Educational Programs at ANL (630-252-4114). Concentrators in Environmental Studies should consult with the program chair (702-1329). Additional information is available on the following Web site:

Richter Fund. The Richter Fund supports research expenses up to $1,000 (excluding living expenses) and offers grants of up to $800 for college students who wish to pursue an internship with a not-for-profit organization. Details are available in the Office of the College Dean, HM 241, and on the following Web site:

Summer Research Fellowship in the Biological Sciences. This fellowship provides support for ten weeks of research under the supervision of a faculty member in the summer before a student's third or fourth year. Details are available in the Office of the Biological Sciences Collegiate Division, BSLC 104C, and on the following Web site:

Summer Research Opportunities Program (SROP). Designed to provide summer research opportunities for minority students, the various programs grouped under this designation offer significant research experience with a faculty member in the student's area of interest. Details are available from the Office of Graduate Affairs (Adm 230, 702-7774), from College advisers, and at

Fellowships and Scholarships. The Office of Career and Placement Services maintains files and directories of grants, fellowships, and scholarships. These resources are available to help students secure financial support for research and for scholarly or creative work. Faculty committees and College advisers also work to bring appropriate opportunities and competitions to the attention of undergraduate students. For additional information on fellowships and scholarships, consult the following Web site:

Independent Study: Course Work for Credit

Reading/Research Courses. Reading/research courses may be arranged by students who wish to pursue (1) some more specialized area of study after having been introduced to it in an elementary or intermediate course or (2) some specific subject not normally offered as a regular course. Because they assume some prior exposure to the field, reading courses are not open to first-year students and only rarely to students in their second year. Normally students may not register for more than one reading course per quarter.

Senior Projects. Many concentration programs require a senior project. Students in programs without such a requirement are encouraged to fashion an intellectually challenging project that culminates their baccalaureate program. This may take the form of a special exploration in a laboratory or in the field, a library research project, a reading tutorial, a writing project, an artistic production or performance, a documented internship, or an integrative course designed specifically for seniors.