Department Website: http://careeradvancement.uchicago.edu
The Office of Career Advancement empowers College students to apply their world-class education to a fulfilling career. UChicago alumni have launched successful careers across a highly diverse range of industries with leading employers and graduate programs.
Whether you have specific career interests or you’re still exploring the right path for you, Career Advancement offers advising and resources to help you reach your goals.
Personalized Career Advising
Make an appointment with a Career Advancement adviser for personalized support at any stage of your career journey.
Internships and Experiential Learning Opportunities
Take advantage of the programs below to get experience, grow your professional network, and apply what you learn in the classroom:
- Jeff Metcalf Internship Program: provides 3,000+ paid, substantive internships to College students each year across a wide range of industries and geographic locations
- Micro-Metcalf Program: offers paid, short-term “micro-internships” with employers
- Job Shadowing Program: shadow a UChicago alum or parent to experience daily life in your field of interest
- Career Treks: visit employers in your field of interest throughout the U.S. and around the world
- Kimpton Fellows Program: supports fourth-years with one-year, post-graduation employment fellowships and special professional development resources
- Jeff Metcalf Fellowship Grants: provides grant funding to offset living costs for students pursuing unpaid internships
Learn more about all of the opportunities students can pursue on the Career Advancement website.
Specialized Pre-Professional Programs
The College’s “Careers in…” programs prepare students for careers in their specific area of interest. Each program provides specialized career advising with an industry expert, professional development workshops, and personalized support with applying for jobs, internships, and graduate programs in the student’s field of interest.
The College currently offers programs in:
- Arts, Culture, and Entertainment
- Behavioral Sciences
- Computer Science
- Education Professions
- Journalism and Creative Writing
- Policy and Social Impact
- Science, Computation, Innovation, and Engineering
In addition, the Careers in Policy and Social Impact program offers a specialized UChicago Green Careers track for students who are interested in environmental and sustainability careers.
Students who are considering business school, law school, or medical school are invited to get involved with the Careers in Business, Law, and Healthcare programs respectively.