Office of the Dean of Students in the College | The Collegiate Divisions | Major Programs | Minor Programs

Office of the Dean of Students in the College

Upon matriculation, every student is assigned to a professional academic adviser on the staff of the dean of students. The primary responsibility of advisers is to support students as they address the range of decisions they will make during college. Advisers help students discover how to pursue their interests within the curricular requirements of the College and plan an appropriate program of study leading to a degree in their selected major. Students should direct questions about courses and programs of study and about University rules and regulations to their College advisers. Advisers are also a good first source of assistance with personal problems. Every effort is made to keep students with the same adviser throughout their time in the College, although for various reasons students are sometimes reassigned to a different adviser within the office.

College advisers can provide students with information about the full range of educational opportunities available in the University community and can assist students in preparing for careers and graduate study. Information about study abroad, fellowships and scholarships, and careers (health professions, law, business) is provided by advisers with expertise in those areas.

Students can view a list of the staff members of the office of the dean of students in the College, and the office can be reached by writing

The Collegiate Divisions

The masters of the Collegiate Divisions (Biological Sciences, Humanities, New Collegiate Division, Physical Sciences, Social Sciences) have curricular and staffing responsibilities for their divisions. The senior advisers of the divisions, assisted by faculty committees, rule on interpretations of the general education requirements in response to questions from advisers or students. Lists of the masters and divisional administrators or administrative assistants for all of the Collegiate Divisions are available at

Major Programs

Students typically select a major no later than the end of their second year, often sooner. This decision should be discussed with the student's College Adviser. After students choose a major, they should have regular contact with the appropriate director of undergraduate studies and other counselors in their department. Among the topics that students discuss with counselors are questions about requirements, study and research opportunities, graduate school and career planning, and departmental events, both social and academic. Some programs of study admit students on the basis of an application procedure. Before officially declaring an intent to pursue such a major, a student must receive consent from the department. Contact information is available at the beginning and end of each program of study description in this catalog.

Minor Programs

Students who elect to pursue a minor program should meet with the appropriate director of undergraduate studies to declare their intention. Before the end of Spring Quarter of their third year, students must submit to their College adviser the director's approval for the minor on a form obtained from the adviser. Students choose courses to meet the requirements of the minor in consultation with the director of undergraduate studies.