Academic Probation and Suspension | Extended Enrollment Status | No Further Enrollments Required | Reduced Course Load | Leaves of Absence | Withdrawing from the College | Applying to Graduate with Non-active Enrollment Statuses  | Twelfth Grade Certificates

Academic Probation and Suspension

In each quarter of registration, students must complete, by the end of the quarter, 300 units of course credit with passing grades and with a minimum GPA of 2.0. Incompletes are not considered sufficient for course completion.

A student who fails to meet this minimum requirement will ordinarily be placed on academic probation for the following quarter. Academic probation is a formal sanction but is not permanently notated on the official transcript.

Students on academic probation are expected to complete, by the end of the quarter, 300 units of course credit with passing grades in the next quarter of registration and with a minimum GPA of 2.0. Please note that Incompletes are not sufficient for course completion. Students on academic probation who meet those minimum expectations will be returned to good standing at the end of the quarter. Any student who fails to meet the minimum requirements while on probation will ordinarily be asked to leave the College for a period of time, usually at least one year.

If any student fails to complete, by the end of a quarter, a minimum of 300 units of course work and also fails to attain a GPA minimum of 2.0 in the same quarter, the student may be immediately suspended regardless of whether the preceding quarter was satisfactory.

NOTE: Students on financial aid who fail to meet the completion rate (70 percent of registered courses) and GPA requirements and/or fail to complete their degree within 150% of the program timeframe may jeopardize their financial aid packages. 

For the purpose of determining eligibility to participate in varsity sports, all students eligible to register are considered to be in good standing.

Extended Enrollment Status

Students who (1) have satisfied their course requirements for graduation and (2) are within their 12 quarters of enrollment but (3) still have outstanding work to complete, namely BA theses or Incompletes, may request to spend their final quarter of enrollment in "Extended" status. Students must make the request with their College adviser prior to the end of the first week of the quarter during which the student intends to be on Extended Enrollment Status. Students in Extended Enrollment Status do not register for courses but retain many privileges afforded to students. Students should ask their College adviser about administrative fees associated with this status.

Students in Extended Enrollment Status will be expected to graduate at the end of the Extended quarter. If a student does not graduate at the end of the Extended quarter, the student will be placed in the status of No Further Enrollments Required, if applicable.

No Further Enrollments Required

Students who have either (a) exceeded their 12 quarters of enrollment but still have work to complete or (b) exceeded their one quarter of Extended Enrollment Status will be placed in a status called No Further Enrollments Required. Students on this status will not pay any fees and will retain access to the Library and University email. Students may remain in this status until they have reached the maximum of eight quarters of leave, cumulative or consecutive, after which they will be administratively withdrawn from the College. However, petitions may be granted to extend a leave for up to 12 cumulative quarters for students as a reasonable accommodation for a disability or otherwise as required by law. Students seeking an exception to the eight-quarter maximum must petition the College Dean of Students no later than the end of the eighth quarter of leave.

Reduced Course Load

In order to make satisfactory progress toward the degree, in 12 quarters students must complete the required 4200 units by taking six quarters at a three-course load and six quarters at a four-course load. Accreditation, AP, and IB exams, as well as transfer credits or credits earned during the summer session, may affect these numbers.

In certain limited circumstances, students who need an additional quarter of enrollment in order to complete their primary major may submit a petition to the Dean of Students. Petitions will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Ordinarily, petitions for an additional quarter of enrollment will not be considered to complete a secondary major or a minor. Note: summer quarters do not count toward the twelve quarters of enrollment policy. Students ordinarily do not need to request permission for an additional summer quarter of enrollment.

Students who have been provided with a written accommodation by the University’s Student Disability Services Office, allowing for enrollment in three courses per quarter for more than six quarters, may also be eligible for additional quarters in which to complete their 4200 units. In such cases students must petition the Dean of Students Office and receive approval in advance (ordinarily during the spring quarter of the student’s second year).

Leaves of Absence

Students planning a leave should consult with their College adviser and also arrange for an interview with one of the deans in the Office of the Dean of Students. For full tuition refund, a leave of absence must be arranged either at the end of the quarter prior to the leave or by Friday of first week of the quarter that a student is going to be on leave. For the refund schedule, visit

In connection with certain leaves (e.g., some medical leaves or leaves taken because of behavioral issues), the dean of students may require, among other things, information from a physician or therapist as a condition for resumption of studies. All conditions are determined on a case-by-case basis.

Withdrawing from the College

Students who decide not to return to the College must formally withdraw their registration. To do so, students should contact the Office of the Dean of Students in the College. At the time of withdrawal, students are advised of the conditions under which they may resume their studies in the College. For a complete overview of College policies regarding leaves of absence and withdrawals, visit

Applying to Graduate with Non-active Enrollment Statuses 

Students in Extended Enrollment Status or in the status of No Further Enrollments Required, or withdrawn as described above, can apply to graduate provided they have:

1. met all of their remaining graduation requirements and have cleared all restrictions;

2. informed their College advisers; and

3. submitted a College Degree Application Form by the Friday of the first week of the quarter. The College adviser can provide this form.

Twelfth Grade Certificates

Students who entered the College before graduation from high school and who expect to qualify for a Twelfth Grade Certificate in the Spring Quarter should file an application with the registrar before the first week of Spring Quarter of their first year. In order to be eligible for the certificate, they must have completed during their first academic year a minimum of nine courses with an overall GPA of 1.75 or higher. Certificates are mailed following the end of Spring Quarter. No certificate is awarded without an application.