The Crown Family School of Social Work, Policy, and Practice offers students an opportunity to begin their professional training in social work, policy, and social administration while still in the College. At the Crown Family School, we challenge our students to dig deeper to understand the root causes and human costs of social problems. Our community of faculty, alumni, and students is proactive. We reach beyond easy explanations and standard responses.

Qualified students who wish to pursue a joint MA degree in Social Work, Social Policy, and Social Administration at the Crown Family School should consult with their College adviser and with the admissions office at the Crown Family School as soon as their first year, but no later than early in their third year.

Students will need a GPA of 3.25 or higher and to have completed their general education requirements by the end of their third year. Students are encouraged to complete their BA major requirements before beginning graduate study, but this is not a requirement. The Joint BA/MA program in Social Work, Social Policy, and Social Administration provides students the flexibility to complete some requirements in their major, including a BA thesis, in the combined BA/MA year. Please contact the Admissions Office of the Crown Family School for consultation. 

BA/MA students take nine to ten courses in their fourth College year. Students also complete a field placement (an evaluated internship) that spans Autumn, Winter, and Spring Quarters. Students complete their second field placement during the second year of joint residence.

BA/MA students enter joint residence status during the three quarters prior to the anticipated date of College graduation, during which time they will be charged tuition at the Crown Family School’s graduate rates. View more details on the BA/MA Academic Pathways for Year 1 at the Crown Family School page. 

For more information, contact the admissions office for the Crown Family School, at 773.702.1250 or, or visit the Crown Family School's Enrollment Options page.

College Years 1–2: Visit the Crown Family School and consider taking a course at the Crown Family School during your second year to see if the program is a good fit. Meet with your College adviser and with Crown Family School Admissions to discuss your plans.

College Year 3: Apply to the Crown Family School. Meet with the College BA/MA adviser in Autumn Quarter. 

College Year 4/Crown Family School Year 1: Begin joint residence status: first year of MA program. BA/MA students are charged tuition at Crown Family School's graduate rates. Graduate with BA in major.

Crown Family School Year 2: Residence in the Crown Family School status. Students complete Crown courses and second field placement (approximately 16–24 hours per week). Graduate with MA in Social Work, Social Policy, and Social Administration.

To apply, please visit the Crown Family School's Admissions pages.