Requirements for the Degree
The College awards the BA or the BS degree to qualified students who are recommended by the faculty. In order to qualify for the degree, students must complete the following:
- The general education requirements
- The requirements of a major program
- The minimum number of electives
- The language competency requirement
- Course credit for a minimum of 42 quarter courses (4200 units): This number may be reached in part by examination where appropriate. For students matriculating in Autumn 2017 or later, of the 4200 units, 3800 units of credit must be earned by course enrollment. Course enrollments may include direct enrollment study abroad programs affiliated with the College and approved transfer credit.
- An overall GPA of 1.75 and a GPA of 2.0 in the major
- A residency requirement: A student must be in residence at the University of Chicago campus for at least six quarters and must successfully complete a minimum of 1800 units of credit while in residence. Additionally, more than half of the requirements for any major or minor must be completed in residence. NOTE: Certain College-sponsored study abroad programs (chiefly the civilization studies programs) may be used to meet this residency and course requirement.
- Completion of a degree application prior to the quarter in which the degree is to be received
- Payment of all outstanding bills and return of all equipment and library books